Location: Jerusalem (first year of the reign of Zedekiah, king of Judah)
People: Nephi and Lehi (his father)
Important events and details:
- Lehi sees a vision of God upon His throne, surrounded by angels. He also sees Christ and the twelve apostles come down to minister on the earth. Christ gives Lehi a book, which fills him with the Spirit. He reads that Jerusalem is to be destroyed and the people will be destroyed or taken captive into Babylon.
- Lehi preaches of the destruction of Jerusalem, the coming of the Messiah, and the redemption of the world – the Jews mock him.
- Nephi explains that he makes an abridgment of his father’s record and then an account of his proceedings
20 … But behold I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.
- One of the first things Nephi mentions is that he knows the record he makes is true – the BoM opens with his testimony of it’s truthfulness. It was important to him that I know immediately that he knew the importance of the BoM in my life.
- Nephi ends the chapter by saying that he will show us the tender mercies of the Lord. The BoM’s purpose is to bring us closer to Christ – to help us learn of Him, understand Him, and come to know Him. Nephi wants me to know that in the BoM I will find accounts of Christ’s tender mercies to those who have faith in Him.
- Do I show faith in Christ by diligently and obediently following the words of His prophets? Do I ever mock their teachings with my words or actions?
- Am I aware of and do I show gratitude for Christ’s tender mercies in my life each day?