Location: the wilderness, by the borders of the Red Sea
People: Sariah (Nephi’s mother), and Laman, Lemuel, and Sam (his older brothers)
Important events and details:
- Lehi obeys God, takes his family, and leaves Jerusalem. They leave behind all they’re “gold, silver, precious things”, which cause Laman and Lemuel to murmur against their father.
- When Lehi gets into the wilderness the first thing he does is build an alter and make an offering to the Lord.
- Lehi confounded the Nephi’s two elder brothers and they stopped murmuring against him and did as he commanded them. But Nephi desired to know if his father’s word were true for himself, so he prayed and his heart was softened and he believed. He told his brother Sam, who also believed in his words, but the two oldest brother would not believe.
12 … And they did murmur because they knew not the dealings of the God who had created them.
20 And inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments, ye shall prosper, and shall be led to a land of promise; yea, even a land which I have prepared for you; yea, a land which is choice above all other lands.
- Lehi remembered God in all things, even after he had just left his home and all his belongings the first thing he did was give an offering to God in gratitude for His guidance and the blessings He had given them. Lehi understood that his family was being guided by a loving Heavenly Father who would protect and guide them through the wilderness and who would bless them for their faith and obedience.
- Laman and Lemuel were not able to have faith in the Lord because they did not understand how He worked. Because they did not have a relationship with Him and they didn’t understand Him they were unable to follow Him or feel His guidance and blessings.
- Nephi prayed to know for himself if his father was speaking the truth and because of his faith and diligence he was blessed and was able to gain the testimony of the truth. He was also able to help Sam to believe. Sam believed on the words of other who knew – he was able to lean on Nephi’s testimony, not yet having one of his own – which is ok! Everyone has to start somewhere, the hope is that he will eventually come to know for himself and gain his own testimony.
- The Lord promised Nephi’s family that they would be led to a land He had prepared for them. He is always preparing blessings for us. We may not be able to see them, or we don’t know what He has in store, but He is just waiting for us to be obedient and follow Him so that He can bless us and take us to the land He has prepared for us.
- Am I like the two older brother, disbelieving because I don’t have a strong enough relationship with Christ and Heavenly Father? Or am I like Nephi who prays to know the truth for himself?
- Do I follow God even when I don’t see or know what He has prepared for me?