Location: the wilderness, and Jerusalem
People: Nephi’s family, Laban (he had the brass plates)
Important events and details:
- Nephi and his brothers return to Jerusalem to get the brass plates from Laban. They try twice to get the plates: first Laman asks Laban for the plates, he is thrown out; next the brothers return with all their “gold, silver, and precious things” to trade Laban, they are chased out
- After the brothers are chased our Laman and Lemuel are mad at Sam and Nephi and begin beating them, an angel appears and stops them. After the angel departs Laman and Lemuel begin to murmur again
7 … I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish them.
16 Wherefore, let us be faithful in keeping the commandments of the Lord…
- Nephi is faithful always, knowing that if he is obedient the Lord will provide away. Contrast that with Laman and Lemuel who have no faith, even seeing an angel is not enough to make them believe. Seeing angels/signs/miracles is never enough to make someone believe, there has to be faith first. If someone has faith then angels/signs/miracles will be a testament to them and will increase their faith.
- Conference talk references:
- “Spirituality yields two fruits. The first is inspiration to know what to do. The second is power, or the capacity to do it. These two capacities come together. That’s why Nephi could say, “I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded.”2 He knew the spiritual laws upon which inspiration and power are based. Yes, God answers prayer and gives us spiritual direction when we live obediently and exercise the required faith in Him.” – Elder Scott
- The Power of a Personal Testimony – Elder Uchtdorf: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2006/10/the-power-of-a-personal-testimony?lang=eng
- Continuing Revelation – Elder Eyring: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/10/continuing-revelation?lang=eng
- Do I have enough faith that I follow all of God’s commandments, even when I can’t see how I will accomplish them/why they are important?