People: Zoram (servant of Laban)
Important events and details:
- Nephi returns into the city to try a third time to get the brass plates. He finds Laban drunk and passed out on the ground. The spirit tells Nephi to kill Laban, but Nephi struggles with this prompting. After the spirit tells Nephi that it is better for one man to die than a whole nation to dwindle in unbelief Nephi kills Laban with his own sword and dresses in his clothes.
- Nephi returns to Laban’s house dressed up like him and has Zoram, the servant get the plates and carry them outside the city walls where his “elder brethren” are waiting. Zoram thinks Nephi is talking about the elders of the Jews and follows Nephi.
- When Nephi’s brothers see him they are afraid, thinking he is Laban and has killed Nephi. Nephi calls to them, and then stops Zoram, who now realizing he is not Laban is scared and trying to run away.
- Nephi promises Zoram that if he follows them into the wilderness he will be a free man, so Zoram makes an oath and follows them out of Jerusalem.
1 …let us be faithful in keeping the commandments of the Lord; for behold he is mightier than all the earth, then why not mightier than Laban…
6 And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do.
34 … Surely the Lord hath commanded us to do this thing; and shall we not be diligent in keeping the commandments of the Lord?
- Nephi was diligent and faithful always, knowing that he might have to try multiple times, and it would be hard, but that the Lord would provide a way for him to follow His commandments.
- Even a prophet like Nephi will questions promptings, but ultimately he follows and obeys every time.
- The Lord often expects us to try and work things out our own way before He provides us with or shows us a way to do things. But when we rely on Him, He will always help us and lead us to do the right thing.
- How many times am I willing to try to follow a commandment from the Lord, even if it is hard or I am not able to get it right the first time.