Location: the wilderness & Jerusalem
People: Nephi & his family, and Ishmael & his family
Important events & details:
- Nephi and his brothers return to Jerusalem to get Ishmael and his family in order to be able to marry and have children in the wilderness.
- While journeying Laman, Lemuel, two daughters of Ishmael, and two sons of Ishmael rebel against the others because they want to return to Jerusalem. When Nephi rebukes them they tie him up and “seek to take away [his] life”.
- Nephi prayed to Heavenly Father and his bands were loosened, some of Ishmael’s family were able to convince the others of their wrongdoing, and Nephi forgave them.
12 Yea, and how is it that ye have forgotten that the Lord is able to do all things according to his will, for the children of men, if it so be that they exercise faith in him? Wherefore, let us be faithful to him.
21 And it came to pass that I did frankly forgive them all that they had done…
- No matter how many times Nephi’s brothers rebel against him, he continually remains faithful to the Lord and reminds them to be faithful too.
- Even after they seek to take away his life, Nephi has enough love and faith in his heart the he immediately forgives his brothers.
- Do I have enough charity in my heart to immediately forgive those who do wrong against me?