Location: the wilderness
People: Nephi & his family
Important events & details:
- Nephi and his family are blessed and nourished with an abundance of food in the wilderness, because of their faith and obedience to the Lord. Nephi tells us that they have been in the wilderness for eight years.
- The Lord commands Nephi to build a ship, and his brothers mock him, but he is diligent in following the commandments of the Lord to build a ship. Nephi likens the scriptures to his situation, and reminds his brothers about Moses and his exodus into the wilderness with his people. He reminds his brothers how God led the people of Moses, and how, when they hardened their hearts the Lord sent serpents to bite the people; but “after they were bitten he prepared a way that they might be healed” and continued to lead them through the wilderness.
3 And thus we see that the commandments of God must be fulfilled. And if it so be that the children of men keep the commandments of God he doth nourish them, and strengthen them, and provide means whereby they an accomplish the thing which he has commanded them; wherefore, he did provide means for us while we did sojourn in the wilderness.
13 And I will also be your light in the wilderness; and I will prepare the way before you, if it so be that ye shall keep my commandments; wherefore, inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall be led towards the promised land; and ye shall know that it is by me that ye are led.
35 Behold, the Lord esteemeth all flesh in one; he that is righteous is favored of God…
- I love that Nephi’s first reaction to the Lord telling him to build a ship isn’t “how am I supposed to build a ship? I don’t know how to build ships”, but rather is “where do I go to get materials to make the tools?” I want to have faith as great as Nephi, faith great enough to help me say “show me how” when the Lord leads me to do things that test me or scare me.
- I also love that Nephi uses scripture to liken their experiences with those of Moses’ people, and teach his brothers the importance of having faith in the Lord throughout their journey
- What can I be doing in my daily life to strengthen my faith, in order to help me more quickly follow the guidance of the spirit?